Sunday 25 May 2008

There are places I'll remember.......

I have done Durness a grave misservice. It isn't the 'John Lennon Memorial Hall'; it is, in fact, the 'John Lennon Memorial Garden', which is in the grounds of the hall and, if a little windblown, represents a genuinely moving tribute to the village's most famous adopted son. The claim is made - and I'm sure it is true - that it was his fondness for Durness that inspired him to write "In my Life", which happens to be just about my favourite John Lennon song. If I can ever get this wretched computer to up-load photographs, I'll show you a picture of it....and here it is:




Anyway, when I get home, one of the first things I'll do is to download "In my Life" to my MP3 player, and for ever after it will remind me of beautiful, hospitable, elemental Durness - the village at the end of the world.

No comments: